The History Of Mocksville

Mocksville and Davie County are very fortunate to have resident historian James Wall in our midst.  Mr.Wall has written a book entitled The History Of Davie County, which has provided most of the following information.

According to records, a small village named “Mocks Old Field” was in existence here before the time of the American Revolution.  Even then this area was considered to be centrally located of the main north-south, east-west routes of travel in North Carolina.  Mocks Old Field was used frequently as a secret meeting place for Colonial Forces and Planners, some of whom were members of the Boone Family.

As a teenager, Daniel Boone came to this area with his parents Squire and Sarah Boone, and his brothers and sisters.  Their land-hold was west of Mocksville on Rt. 64.  Both Squire and Sarah Boone are buried in Joppa Cemetery and the graves can still be visited.  All of Daniel’s descendants migrated west.

In the year 1810 a Mocks Old Field post office was established here.  This was the first official name for the growing settlement.

When incorporated in 1839 as the seat of the newly formed Davie County (previously a part of Rowan County), the town’s limits were set at “one half mile in each and every direction from the Court House”, to be located in the center of the town square.  Most of the fifteen acres of the incorporation was divided into thirty-two business lots and sold at public auction to finance the building of the “Court House and Jail without a tax levy”.

Those of you who have visited Charleston S.C. know about earthquake rods. For those of you that don’t know they are threaded rods placed through a brick building between the floors and ceiling and tightened, pulling a damaged building into a square and adding support to old soft brick. The ends of these rods are often covered with a decorative plate.

You will notice earthquake rods in several of the buildings here in downtown Mocksville.  We know that a portion of our downtown was destroyed in 1886 by the same earthquake that devastated Charleston.  Much of our downtown was rebuilt following this event and it is generally thought that the rods were installed during the time of the reconstruction with the sole intent of giving the buildings added support.

Mocksville boasts three designated historic districts, each of which is registered with the National Trust.  The historic retail district is in the center with two residential districts adjacent to it.  The contributing buildings in the retail district are marked with plaques, thanks to the cooperative efforts of the Historic Downtown Mocksville Association, Community Development Corp. and the Town of Mocksville.

Downtown Mocksville passed another mile-stone in 1991 when we were accepted into the Main Street Program of the National Register for Historic Places which is an organization designed to offer grassroots assistance to historic downtowns in their revitalization efforts.  We were part of a pilot program especially designed for small downtowns with a population of less than 5,000.

In addition to the Boone family, other famous residents of Mocksville include:

Hinton Rowan Helper, author of “The Impending Crisis of the South: How to Meet It” which was published in 1857.

Thomas Ferebee, a bombardier on the Enola Gay, which dropped the first atomic warhead on Japan.

Joe Jackson Gibbs, Washington Redskins football coach and NASCAR championship team owner, was born on Nov.25 1940 in the old Mocksville Hospital operated by Dr. W. M. Long which was located at the North-East corner of the Court Square

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 11/16/2010 Mike Massey wrote:
    Question:
    Is there a highway marker on 64 indicating where the Boone family lived?
    Many thanks!
    1. 11/21/2010 kendra wrote:
      I believe there is Mike, but I can't say for sure.
  • 4/29/2011 Brian S wrote:
    Does anyone know what house/building in Mocksville's historic district was designed by George F. Barber?
  • 6/25/2011 Ginny wrote:
    Does anyone know where I could find where Peter Sturat Nye lived in Mocksville? And does anyone have any ghost stories of the town. I would love to do a ghostwalk in the downtown area this fall and was just wondering if anyone had any stories to share. Thanks
    1. 6/2/2012 Robert McNeill wrote:
      Yes, he s supposed to have rented rooms in what was later known as the Old Kelly House located in the 500 block of Salisbury Street. I was born in 1928 and grew up in a house across the street. It burned down in 1943 when a gasoline truck overtured in its front yard. It was never occupied in my lifetime.
  • 7/1/2011 Richard G wrote:
    Not sure about Ghost, but I do remember the old theatre in town. I got to see a lot of famous acts back when I was young that were passing through Mocksville enroute South or North. The history in Davie/Mocksville runs very deep and if interested, it will take you to some very interesting places and leave you wondering....I love my Mocksville!!!
  • 8/2/2011 Don wrote:
    Can anyone tell me where the house that John Wilcox and Sarah Boone lived in is at. I know that it is still standing.
  • 1/23/2013 Robin Hammond wrote:
    How did Mocks Old Field & later Mocksville. I'm a decendant of the Mock family.
    1. 6/19/2013 MaryElizabeth Mock wrote:
      Hi. I am also a descendant of the Mock family. Which family branch are you from?
      1. 10/26/2013 Sandra wrote:
        I'm also researching my MOCK line. I'm descended from Elizabeth MOCK, dau of Henry P. MOCK, son of David MOCK, Sr. Do you have any of those in your line? Trying to tie them back to NC, possibly Mocksville. David was reportedly b. NC 1795 and d. there 1834.
        1. 12/9/2013 Michael Mock wrote:
          I am also a Mock descendant of Thomas Mock who came to GA in 1751.
          Check here for some helpful info:
  • 3/31/2013 Chuck Rohda wrote:
    We will be visiting Mocksville in few days. Is there map or guide to the historic district. We looking for walking tour
    1. 4/1/2013 kendra wrote:
      I would check with the Chamber of Commerce and Happy House Miniatures.
  • 5/18/2013 M Bost wrote:
    I live in the Maple street area and have been told there was an old plantation house toward the end at one time..maybe called Maple Grove? Does anyone have any info? Thanks
    1. 9/26/2013 ed rowland wrote:
      I too lived on/very near Maple, east side of Salisbury St Maybe restored Clement House on east side, just before RR tracks.

Ed Rowland

(son late George W., Virginia H.)
      Grew up 437 S. Main; dirt road off Maple was back access.